Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Germany.......part one

Castle on the Rhine

I am really unclear as to how we got from Japan to Germany......I think we went stateside first, but I will have to check with my parents on that one.

Our time in Germany is clearer in my mind than our time in Japan....I am sure it is because I was older and we spent almost three years there.

We lived in base housing just like we did in Japan. In the service friend's fathers often moved to the same air bases my father was transferred to and we would be able to have old friends in new places. I liked that. Of course my brothers and I were close in age so, there was always someone to play with to pass the time.

My parents were true tourists and they would load all of us kids in the ole Mercury station wagon and off we would go for an adventure. We rode ferries....climbed steps to huge castles...and saw so many wonderful things that some people have only read in books.

I can recall going to air shows.....watching the guard dogs and the service men in charge of the German Sheppards give demonstrations on just how the dogs would react if someone got in their way. I remember thinking......those dogs are mean. That didn't stop me from walking past the fence that surrounded certain areas of the air base and running a stick along the side of the chain linked fence and making the guard dogs go crazy....all the kids did it and we would just laugh. Well, that was just stupid....!

There was a big playground behind our building and I can remember having so much fun playing in the sand and running around with my brothers and our friends. There was always a group of us having fun and getting into things we weren't supposed to be doing. There was a road that butted up against the playground and behind that road was open pastures filled with lots of things to do. Of course we weren't supposed to go there, but we did even knowing that we would be in trouble if Mom and Dad were to catch us!

The big thing was to entice the wild boar to chase us. We would wave our hands and then run like heck to the other side of the ditch. Thought it was safe until I grew up and was watching a program on wild boar and how they really can kill you. I can remember watching that program and the wild boar were chasing someone right through the ditch and up over the other side. That's when I stopped to realize how lucky we were way back then. Again, the stupid word comes to mind!

I remember going to this one German town and my parents buying sugar crystals on a stick. I loved that treat and when my kids were growing up.....I found that treat for them and a couple of years ago I brought that sweet treat for my grandchildren as well. A flood of memories came over me when I found the sugar on a stick and presented the gift to my children.

Lots and lots of great vacations were spent exploring the countryside with my family and those trips are etched in my mind forever.

No comments: