Friday, December 19, 2008

Memories of living in Japan......

I can only remember bits and pieces of when I was five or six. We lived in Japan on an airbase..... I remember the playground in the backyard of the military housing......I remember being chased by a huge boxer that scared me so badly...maybe that's why I don't really like dogs!! Or is it the mess and 'that smell'?? I remember my parents taking us into the 'foxholes' as the Russians flew over the base. I was too young to know that it was a 'bad thing'.......I just remember it was fun as I poked my fingers into the soil. I remember the smell of tar as the roads were being fixed (to this day whenever I smell tar, my mind floats back to that day I was riding in the car with my Mother). I remember having to get a shot of some kind at school (kindergarten)....back then on the airbase they would come to the schools. I was scared and crying (wasn't thrilled about needles). A little boy in my class tried to comfort me and he gave me the lollipop his Mom had given him as a treat. I still can see him holding out his hand and offering me something he probably really was looking forward to enjoying. If my Mother sent a treat with me....I probably ate it beforehand. I can remember the shopping in the Japanese stores with my family. There was so much to see.....touching was not allowed!! I remember asking my Mother why the man was relieving (didn't use that word!) himself on the road outside the store. She quickly whisked me away and quietly told me to be quiet. I remember my Mother had a Japanese sewing lady who would make matching outfits for my sister, brothers and myself. I thought we looked pretty special. I can remember my brothers and I getting into the medicine cabinet and devouring what we thought was candy....it was not!! That is when I learned what 'E-lax' was!! Not one of our finer moments as siblings. I remember going to a Japanese lady's house and having to take off my shoes when I got to her front door.....when it came time for our nap....we laid down on straw mats. Wasn't comfortable to say the least!! I can remember her name....but I have no idea how to spell it. She helped my Mother around the house and I remember her face and her smile. It is funny about smiles.......no matter what language you speak......the smile is universal.
I had cute little 'socks' called tams...and clunky shoes! I have always thought the traditional Japanese dress was beautiful.......I think it was the colors of the kimonos and the embroidery work that caught my attention....or was it because it was so unlike what I wore???

No comments: