Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Germany

I remember the many 'sightseeing trips' my family went on while we lived in Germany. The countryside was beautiful....we traveled miles and miles and saw so many things. My Mother always packed great lunches for us to eat while we were out...occasionally we were treated to a lunch at a stop....that was a real treat for us. Ferry rides were fun...lots to see and explore. I can still recall the sounds and the smells. I always thought it was fun to park the car and walk up the stairs to the top of the ferry and watch everything pass us by.

When I was in about the third grade my brother Cary pulled off his t-shirt and broke his neck. My Dad was gone out of the country and my Mother and older sister were not home. That just left me...Carl...and the German maid, Blondie. Cary complained about his head and neck hurting so, I gave his an asprin. Can you imagine that? A kid giving another kid medicine. Now that I am older....that was not a good thing. Anyway, Cary survived...we got our first television so that Cary would have something to do while he healed.....and the rest of us thought it was a good thing he broke his neck or we would never have gotten that television set.

While in Germany my sister Carli was born. When the family went to pick up my Mother at the hospital I remember leaning over the front seat and announcing the hospital had given us the wrong baby. Carli had black hair and the rest of us had blonde hair. I think I must have said that thought one too many times because my Father told to sit down and to be quiet. Well, she didn't look like us then, but she eventually did...but that didn't stop me from telling her she was adopted!!

Adventures on the Air Base were many....friends came and went, but brothers and sisters were always there to play with and I was never lonely!!

No comments: